September 18, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Tennis Courts, Baseball Field to Be Demolished

By Ella Wallace & Becca Lloyd ’24

Three tennis courts and the varsity baseball field will be demolished this summer displacing the tennis and varsity baseball teams as construction on the new high school building begins. Physical education classes will also experience some displacement.

“With the new school being built on the existing campus, there’s going to be some disruptions,” said Principal Frank Paige. “It’s a necessary inconvenience to build the new school.”

Changes begin as soon as school ends in June. While this is exciting, it’s also time-consuming, and students and staff need to be prepare for. The athletic department is reaching out to surrounding schools and Forest Park to accommodate our tennis and baseball teams.

Three of our six tennis courts fall inside the footprint of the new pool or natatorium. There’s no way to work around them or keep them during construction. Plans for the new school put the tennis courts between the church and school parking lots and the stadium. Portable toilets will be replaced with actual bathrooms. Three tennis courts will remain for the summer, but will be removed in the fall or winter. 

Construction will also make outdoor gym classes tricky. Areas for archery, golf, and frisbee, located behind the current school building. There will be 10 foot walkway between the old school and the new construction.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.