September 19, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Mr. Agnitti Prints in 3D for Fun and Profit

By Chris Bamber ’24

Since getting his first 3D printer about 4 years ago, Mr. Trevor Agnitti has used this new technology to make creations for his own use and  to sell online. 

Due to new companies undercutting prices, 3D printers have become much more accessible to the public in recent years.

“There have been huge strides in technology,” Mr Agnitti said. “My large 3D printer would have cost $10,000 five years ago, but only cost $400.” 

3D printing is a process where a digital image is processed into a physical object. Using computer-aided design (CAD), it three-dimensional objects from a digital file. The process involves a 3D printer which builds up the object layer by layer, using materials such as plastic, metal, or ceramic.

Mr. Agnitti has used his printers to make things like Star Wars figures, dinosaur skulls, and things for his kids. 

“Lots of things that you don’t even think about can be made better with a 3D printer.” Mr Agnitti said. He has used his printers to make regular household objects like coathangers without even having to go buy one from a store. 

Different types of printers and materials allow lots of different things to be made,

“If you’re just looking for functional stuff like a hook to hang your coat on, FDM printers are the way to go,” Mr. Agnitti said, “If you want a smooth finish with max detail, you want a resin printer.”

But Mr Agnitti doesn’t use his printers for just personal use, he also uses them to design creations for people to purchase. Mr. Agnitti occasionally sells 3D printed designs of things for niche hobbyists online . 

“All my printers have paid for themselves,” Mr Agnitti said. 

Using the printers he owns, Mr. Agnitti can create real life models of things from niche shows like “Masters of the Universe” that can’t be easily found. This way he can sell things for a profit online without dealing with big competition as he would against bigger shows or brands. 

3D printing can be a fun and helpful tool, but it may be challenging for some. Mr. Agnitti says there is a large learning curve.

“A lot of people have a misconception that you hit print and something prints, actually even if you download a model, you have to support it correctly.” Mr. Agnitti said. “If it’s resin you have to clean it a certain way. If it’s FDM, you have to remove the supports,”  

FDM printing uses thermoplastic filaments and requires post-processing to eliminate any defects, so it can be a very tedious process to create your desired design. 3D printing requires a lot more user effort to be put in than a regular, paper printer, so it may not become a usual household item for all. 

“ It’s not going to be something that everyone uses because not everyone will be willing to invest in that.” Mr Agnitti said. 

Mr. Agnitti suggests that if you are interested in 3D printing to start off with a smaller printer to learn with before investing on a larger one. 

“If you want to do things with resin, get a smaller machine to learn with,” Mr. Agnitti said, “And if you find it’s for you and don’t mind dealing with caustic chemicals and messy cleanups, then you can invest more.”

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.