September 18, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Boys Tennis Moves Past Minnechaug

Photo by: ELHS Yearbook Staff

Following a two-match losing streak, the Spartans bounced back to take a 4-1 win over the Falcons.

Not only were the Spartans’ prior two matches losses, but also 5-0 sweeps by Northampton and Longmeadow. These were the Spartans’ second and third losses, their first a hard-fought 3-2 match against Longmeadow.

With this win the Spartans, coached by Jeffrey Morneau, improved to 7-3 on the season.

It was the second time this season the Spartans faced the Falcons, their first match also ending in a 4-1 victory. Minnechaug’s record now stands at 2-8.

Despite senior captain Lukas DeBlok’s 2-set victory against Minnechaug’s Kelvin Ohemeng in their first matchup earlier this season, Ohemeng took the 2-set win against him in their latest match.

DeBlok and Ohemeng’s second set, however, was close, with DeBlok ultimately falling to Ohemeng 7-6. 

Their matchup was easily the closest of the five, with the Spartans claiming 2-set wins in all four other matchups. Five of those eight sets ended in 6-1 scores.

With these high-end results come high-end expectations from both captains.

“I want to see my teammates, especially those that have just joined the team, develop their skills and have an overall sense of enjoyment from being on the team,” DeBlok said.

These goals only add to the expectations that come from last year’s successful team.

“As a team, I want us to live up to the expectations set by last year’s amazing season, going 14-4, making it to the Western Mass finals, and making it to round 16 of States,” said co-captain senior Ben Luu. “I don’t want to say anything too soon about our chances of doing so just yet, but I have high hopes.”

Speaking for both himself and DeBlok, Luu explained how the two captains have expanded upon the success of last year’s team by growing closer with their teammates this year.

“Lukas and I have worked on team bonding, something that wasn’t done much the previous year, which I hope future captain(s) will keep the tradition of.”

DeBlok also offered insight as to why team chemistry is important for the team, especially in an individualized sport like tennis.

“Only seven of us can play at any given match, leaving the rest of us to support and cheer on teammates that are playing,” DeBlok said. “All of us understand the importance of offering positive support to each other and lifting each other up if a match doesn’t end up the way we wanted it to.”

The off-the-court activities the captains take their teammates to include “going out for dinner and ice cream after matches, driving as many people as our cars can carry.” Luu further explained that participating in these team-bonding outings are what “makes playing a sport in high school memorable.”

The Spartans took a loss to the now 8-1 Northampton Blue Devils yesterday and will compete next in West Springfield on Monday.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.