September 18, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Post-Pandemic Effects Linger for Students and Teachers

By Rebecca Pelletier ’24

Two years after the pandemic shuttered schools across Massachusetts, students are still adjusting to a regular school day. Remote learning had a lot of downsides, but students didn’t complain about the workload. 

“You didn’t have to worry about homework because we didn’t get a lot of homework,” Britney Hrdlicka said. “There was so much time to do projects, you didn’t really have to worry about tests. “

Switching from a four block schedule to an eight block schedule, it’s hard looking back on the classes that you took during the day and remembering what homework you have.”  Britney said 

Britney was in 8th grade during remote learning, making the transition to high school that much more difficult. 

“Well, I felt it was way easier because the attendance was more lenient,” she said about 8th grade. “School was more lenient about everything with work. Procrastination was easier.  And just getting good grades was just easier, and it didn’t really prepare me for right now.”

Ava Fox didn’t enjoy the transition either.

“The first part of online school I didn’t go to because I didn’t know we had too,” she said. 

Students transitioning from a four block to an eight block have found it harder to keep up with work. 

Mrs. Rueger had seen relationship loss and information loss from online classes.

“Watching my students now In a collaborative setting, having difficulty communicating is interesting, “ Mrs Rueger said. 

Post-pandemic education is uncharted territory.

“It did more harm to the development of children then I think well ever know,” Mrs. Rueger said. 

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.