September 19, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Boys X-Country Focuses on Individualism Heading into Western Mass Playoffs

Photo by: Navaeh Afonso

Strategic and training-based tactics have guided East Longmeadow’s 2022 boys cross country to a slew of victories, coming in at a 9-2 record.

The upperclassmen-dominated team coached by Tim Gerry is strolling on into the Western Mass Playoffs, winning their last two meets by the same score of 15-50.

On October 18th’s meet the entire top five runners out of about 30 from East Longmeadow, Chicopee, and Westfield were all Spartans.

The number one spot for East Longmeadow was claimed by junior captain Charlie Klatka, who ran 3.1 miles in 18:01.

The other top five runners for East Longmeadow were Ben Canjemi, Connor Knee, Jameson Beecher, and Malin Gitay.

Klatka, co-captain to seniors Canjemi and Andrew Violette, has put up consistently impressive numbers for East Longmeadow’s team so far this season, and it’s no coincidence why.

“I had to work hard all summer and the results are finally showing in my performance,” Klatka said. “It’s crucial to have a good performance and strategy is something that I think more people should think about before they race.”

Photo by: Navaeh Afonso

What has also improved Klatka’s performances so far this season have been communication with coach Gerry.

“My coach has perfected my form, even mid-race he will make corrections, he pushes me to my full potential,” Klatka said. “Because of this support I have been able to improve dramatically. We have very good communication back and forth, when something is off or if I am not feeling right, he will adjust the workout to fit my needs.”

With Klatka’s junior captaincy working out great for him so far, he is looking forward to being the main leader for next year’s cross country team. However, for now the seniors of the team are filling those leadership positions handily. 

“I think team encouragement is huge especially on the tough days,” said senior Sergio Ospinoquintero. “However, this is a self driven game and you can only count on yourself, making sure your training and workouts pay off for race day.”

That individualistic advice from the seniors has led to an all around successful season for the Spartans, as Klatka concurred that his success “wouldn’t be possible without the support I have received from everyone.”

East Longmeadow’s other senior runners are Kyle Gauthier, Josh Kirchner, Ben Martin, and Colby Law.

In fact, the lessons that cross country has taught the boys has reflected on how they live their personal lives.

“We’ve learned that we always have more in us than we think we do,” Ospinoquintero said. “If you just push and get through the short term pain, you’ll accomplish your long term goals.”

The Spartans look to continue their win streak in the Western Mass Playoffs tomorrow.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.