September 19, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Pandemic Draws the Curtains on Drama Club Production

By Mollie Wilson ’22

Miranda Flood and Xavier Torres rehearse for Barefoot in the Park.

Five weeks ago, eight drama club members waited anxiously by the office door, peering in at the final pen stroke determining their part in Neil Simon’s Barefoot in the Park, their first production in three years. 

Rehearsals soon began, and the show was scheduled for May 20th and 21st. 

With six members and a limited budget, the drama club was working hard to put on a great show for friends and family who were looking for a nice night out. 

Though the turnout is not as high, the club is still providing a fun experience for both the actors and the audience, giving the cast members a sense of community and warmth, as well as putting on an amazing show. 

Miranda Flood and Mollie Wilson read their lines.

“When I was a freshman, the club was full of members who were excited to be a part of the shows,” Miranda Flood, drama club president said. “Due to Covid, our numbers have dwindled, and this was our way to make people interested again!” 

Then Flood, the lead in the upcoming show, tested positive for COVID 19 and sidelined her for the next two weeks. With only three weeks left until the performance, the show would have to be canceled.

“It’s hard to continue with the show when someone has to be out for 1-2 weeks, especially with such a small cast, and such little time left,” senior John Scully said. 

“It sucks to have to cancel the show, but hopefully the club will continue, and next year they’ll try again.” Flood said.

Miranda Flood and Shawn Learned rehearsing for the now canceled drama club production of Barefoot in the Park
Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.