September 18, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Peace, Love, and Ice Cream

How The Apple Place Brought Its Slogan to Life in the Pandemic

Ask any longtime resident of East Longmeadow what their favorite ice cream place is, some might say Dairy Queen, but many will say the Apple Place. 

The quaint orchard-turned-bakery-turned-creamery at the south end of town has chickens and pigs and in the fall, a corn maze. It’s been open since 1971. Cindy gained ownership of the farm after her father passed and added new additions like a bakery and creamery. She and her husband, Neal, now run the business. 

But, this fall has been different from previous with a pandemic.

In April, when the Apple Place was supposed to start preparing for their yearly reopening, they were scared that their business would decline as few people were out and about. But in an unexpected turn of events, business blossomed during summer.

“I think because it’s outside. We’re very strict about masks and people feel safe here,” said Cindy Normandin, owner of The Apple Place. 

“Everyone was so happy we were open, because nothing was open at the point when we were open in East Longmeadow,” she said. “There was no place to get a coffee even. When they come here, it’s a little bit of normality for their families.”

Across from the creamery and chicken coop, there’s a medium-sized area full of seating and activities for kids. In the summer, there’s a food truck where customers can grab dinner and listen to live music. The one-way road gives a scenic view of each area. 

“The Apple Place is very community-oriented,” said Abby Haller, a regular customer. “They recognize our faces when we attend events such as hosting local musicians and running fundraisers for the food pantry.”

“The atmosphere is inviting and happy.” She continues. “…we like how kind they are to everyone that comes through.”

The Apple Place was able to open on time with strict CDC guidelines and a mandatory mask rule. Other businesses in East Longmeadow did not have the luxury back in the spring.

“The covid restrictions made sanitary practices a lot more rigorous,” said Angelina Carando, a longtime employee of The Apple Place. “Social distancing between customers was enforced: six feet.”

She also mentions how other employees were worried about the possibility of not having a job or having to work with strict regulations.

Luckily for Apple Place regulars, the employees were able to maintain stable hours and serve up some happiness. 

The Apple Place is providing a break from the new normal with peace, love, and ice cream :).

More Stories

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.