September 18, 2024

The Spartan Spectator

The Official Newspaper of East Longmeadow High School

Students Describe Remote Learning Experience

“What was the weirdest, strangest or funniest experience to happen to you during remote learning?”

Remote learning for students, staff, and parents has been an abnormal experience, with some adapting to it better than others.

This November, I surveyed 25 students from East Longmeadow High School, Mrs. Tangredi’s Spanish three Honors class. Throughout this series of questions, there was diverse feedback, and many mixed feelings about our new “normal” school experience. Remote learning may not be as exciting or feel as engaging as in-person teaching, but a few students managed to highlight some silly or strange moments.

Every student was asked these two questions: 

“What has been the hardest part about remote learning for you?”

To begin our look into the minds of the students, I’ve highlighted a few of the minimal amount of silly feedback I received. Jack Merrigan shared a panic moment, when he was in the middle of class and his dog puked on his carpet. Mia Meccia highlighted her gym experience, stating; “Weirdest experience is definitely having to do gym class salsa dancing in my living room.” 

“I always think my microphone is on but it’s off.”

Other students stated that they’d constantly join classes late, losing track of the time, especially surrounded by the comforts of their own home. Andrew Nolan told us his fire alarm went off during a class, another example of how our new learning environment can be more unpredictable. 

A majority of individuals stated that with the current software, such as google meet, there comes an array of paranoia. Sophie Sares expanded: “I always think my microphone is on but it’s off.” It’s a common fright shared by many students, the small “unmute” button seems to hold a tremendous amount of power.

The hardest part of remote learning had a unique variety of answers within the group of students. One student even mentioned that he preferred remote learning over the benefits of being in the classroom. 

Although one detail remained clear as the top concern, staying on task and keeping up with the amount of work remained the evident worry of many. Students reported having many troubles managing work, focusing on the task at hand, and procrastinating. This is a natural reaction due to being home constantly, with the TV on your left and your kitchen to the right. ELHS teachers are implementing more interactive activities, whenever possible, due to this issue that was predicted beforehand by many.

Spanish Three Honors student, Mia Meccia, gave me an in depth look at how remote learning feels.

“I can’t focus, I still act as if this is optional and I push all my assignments until the last minute. I used to like group work but breakout rooms are dreadful to me when you accidentally talk over people or no one participates because it is such a weird situation.”

“If I don’t complete an assignment in the given class time, I don’t put enough effort in after school because I want to just put my computer away and use the free time. Luckily, my teachers are very helpful and are trying their best to help us out with more time and resources. It is hard to see other towns nearby get to go to school with regulations and rules.” 

Another classmate expressed a concern that is likely at the forefront of many others minds, stating the hardest part for her “probably not being able to raise my hand to ask a teacher a question privately during time we are doing independent work.” Although the ZOOM software offers a private chat with the administrator of meetings, Google Meet, used by ELHS, doesn’t.

Although virtual learning may be comfortable for some, it’s safe to say the majority of students favor in person. It’s taken time for all of us to adjust in different ways, but making remote learning more entertaining is a top goal for everybody. Nobody knows how long this may last.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.